Sunday, December 12, 2010

Der Tyrant’s Korner #1



Pre-SEBT Trash Talk et Predictions.

Hola, Subbuteo Aficionados. With a only a week until the final, major competition of the 1st & 4th club for the 2010 season, I thought it would be fitting to discuss the preparatory work of a world class Subbuteo powerhaus: my Bayern Munich team.

As I have not taken to the pitch since the July 4th tournament, my team and dreamily dexterous hand are in the best possible condition, better, in fact, than any other team in our league; which is to say they are well rested. As any Subbuteo player or fan knows, the key to success in a desperate match is just the same as the success of a known universe, the conservation of energy. All those people, foolishly ‘playing’ in the interim games and beachside tournaments, will be bringing all their tired and injured bodies (hangnails, broken nails and hyper-extended digits) to the game, while I’ve barely done anything, literally, for the last four months. It is only through such focused attention to lethargy, that a team can truly expect to last through the grueling waves of tournament play. Needless to say, though I feel I must, I will rule the house.

That said, what will happen on the 18th, besides my pending triumph? Here’s what I think: age will rule. Sure, we’ve seen the youngins “bring it,” as they are wont to say, in previous tournaments; but like all children, they grow weary during the holidays and must be given a hearty mug of warm milk and to be tucked beneath fluffy blankets for long winter’s rest. Their elders, on the other hand, have the strength of will and fortitude to push on, beyond the shopping/wrapping exhaustion and focus on the only thing which really matters at this time of year, the New Year’s 1st & 4th Club Tournament… and I guess any Subbuteo action that might occur in December.

Therefore, I believe that Mark and Adam will have their best performance in recent years. They won’t play as well as I will, but their skills, unleashed with the patina of experience, will grind their opponents into the dust. Tommy, who is half young, half old, should also perform well, though it must be said that his Lazarus-esque return to the Day of Craft, may affect his game. I guess it will all depend on whether he feels like he’s “sad inside” come kick off time.

The rest of the 1st & 4th gang should bring lots of tissues to sop up the tears.

1 comment:

  1. Just as a precaution, I'm wearing gloves all week, as to not injury tip (finger) or cuticle. As an elder statesman of the game, I appreciate the confidence given our more experienced flickers. The children may be our future, but today belongs to the (b)old.

    Bring on SEBT!

    Muncle Mark

    ReplyDelete