Monday, July 11, 2011

Avery, First Lady of Subbuteo

Who says girls can't play subbuteo? Oh, wow ... there's a lot of you. Well, you’re all wrong about that. Dude, that’s your sister you’re talking about. Chill.

That certainly is not the stance of this organization. In fact, the 1st & 4th Subbuteo Club proudly embraces seven members of the fairer sex (including the Time “Keeper”). They contribute style, poise, and tenacity to tournament play, as well as possess an impressive knowledge of the game and dedication to the Club. But among them, one stands out: Avery (Ave), the first female champion of a Club subbuteo tournament. Avery never lets the haters win, and sometimes not even her opponents. At the MMRSMMDWT, paired with Harrison (2010 POY), she proved an able partner—even netting goals in the championship game! The author caught up with Avery after she’d returned from a post-4th Tournament expedition to the Canadian frontier.


T-Dexxx: How did it feel to win a championship?

Ave: It felt relieving and awesome to win the tournament.

What does it mean to be the first girl to do so?

Being the first girl to win means a lot, because I really hope to inspire other girls in the club to shoot for the stars and let them know it is possible to win a tournament.

How did it feel to defeat your brother (Dutch)?

I felt victorious defeating my brother because he has played longer than I have, so it just shows I have what it takes.

How do you think your victory has affected the club?

I think my victory has made the club appreciate my subbuteo playing more. I used to be somebody that wasn’t wanted on their team. Now, they'd be lucky to have me play with them

Were you particularly moved by "Macho Man" to win?

I didn't even know Macho Man was a factor in the games until after the tournament. So, no.

How did you manage to consume your can of Slim Jims?
I have not yet consumed my Slim Jim trophy. They are not my first choice in the snack category.

Do you have any female role models that inspire you?

Taylor Swift really inspires me to achieve. So does Hope Solo and other various women soccer stars.

What are your goals in subbuteo? In life?

My goals in Subbuteo are to attempt to win on either the 1st or the 4th. The bigger the tournament, the better publicity. In life, I'd like to become a star and live in Hollywood.

Do you have any words of advice for aspiring female subbuteo players (E, Tea, Mary Beth, etc.)?

My words of advice to female subbuteo players are to keep practicing, invent some kind of verb in the game that uses your name, dream big, and NEVER SAY NEVER. ~avery

No comments:

Post a Comment